SA Rugby to remain mum on Coetzee’s future until 2018

Those waiting on SA Rugby to announce the decision regarding embattled Springbok coach Allister Coetzee’s future will have to wait until next year before there is any word on that.

In a media release on Friday, SA Rugby said that they would not be in a position to respond to questions on the matter until the New Year.

“A number of meetings and reviews are in progress on all national teams, after which plans for all teams in 2018 will be confirmed,” SA Rugby said.

Coetzee managed just seven wins, beating France (four times), Argentina (2) and Italy, in the Boks’ 13 Tests in 2017, also suffering heavy defeats to New Zealand and Ireland, going down 57-0 and 38-3 respectively.


Looking for Cheap Flights or need a Room, Hostel or Hotel or Cheap Car Hire?


This brought his overall record since taking over from Heyneke Meyer in 2016 to 11 wins in 25 matches, well below the required 65% according to his contract.

Following what has been a largely less than satisfactory tenure, coupled with the return of Rassie Erasmus to the fold as director of rugby, speculation has been rife that the writing is on the wall for Coetzee. This is despite him being quite adamant that he will see out his contract which runs until after the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

It has also been reported that SA Rugby are seeking legal advice in order to be well-equipped for whatever fallout may emerge should they give Coetzee the boot.

If the Coetzee has not managed to appease SA Rugby’s top brass he has at least won his players over, with Bok captain Eben Etzebeth, earlier this month, publicly backing the coach and expressing a desire to have him continue in his role into the next year.


Looking for Cheap Flights or need a Room, Hostel or Hotel or Cheap Car Hire?



Enjoyed this post? Share it!

 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.